Sunday 22 July 2012

MUST - HAVE TO

We can use 'must' to show that we are certain something is true. We are making a logical deduction based upon some clear evidence or reason.
  • There's no heating on. You must be freezing.
  • You must be worried that she is so late coming home.
  • I can't remember what I did with it. I must be getting old.
  • It must be nice to live in Florida.
We also use 'must' to express a strong obligation. When we use 'must' this usually means that some personal circumstance makes the obligation necessary (and the speaker almost certainly agrees with the obligation.)
  • I must go to bed earlier.
  • They must do something about it.
  • You must come and see us some time.
  • I must say, I don't think you were very nice to him.
We can also use 'have to' to express a strong obligation. When we use 'have to' this usually means that some external circumstance makes the obligation necessary.
  • I have to arrive at work at 9 sharp. My boss is very strict.
  • We have to give him our answer today or lose out on the contract.
  • You have to pass your exams or the university will not accept you.
  • I have to send a report to Head Office every week.

We use 'don't have to' (or 'haven't got to' in British English) to state that there is NO obligation or necessity.
  • We don't have to get there on time. The boss is away today.
  • I don't have to listen to this. I'm leaving.
  • You don't have to come if you don't want to.
  • He doesn't have to sign anything if he doesn't want to at this stage.
  • I haven't got to go. Only if I want to

No comments: