Saturday 21 May 2011

PRESENT PERFECT VS SIMPLE PAST

PRESENT PERFECT
PAST SIMPLE

ü      We only know that it happened at some time before now

ü      We use this tense to talk about past events and activities with results /consequences in the present

I/you/ we/they HAVE FED the dog (+)
He/she/it HAS FED the dog

I/you/ we/they HAVEN’T FED the dog (-)
He/she/it HASN’T FED the dog

HAVE I/you/we/they FED the dog?
Yes, I/you/we / they HAVE
NO, I /you/ we  they HAVEN’T

HAS he/she/it FED the dog?
Yes, he/she/ it HAS
No, he/she/it HASN´T

What has he done?
He has fed the dog

TIME ADVERBIALS

ü      We use NEVER and YET  in negative sentences
ü      We use ALREADY in affirmative sentences
ü      We use YET and EVER in questions

REMEMBER
YET: at the end
ALREADY/EVER/NEVER: before the main verb



ü       We know exactly when the thing happened
ü      We use this tense to talk about an action which started and finished in the past

I FED the dog yesterday (+)
I PLAYED football yesterday

I DIDN´T FEED the dog yesterday (-)


DID YOU FEED the dog yesterday?
Yes, I DID
No, I DIDN’T. I FED the cat









YESTERDAY (morning, afternoon, evening)

LAST night/ month

Two hours AGO

No comments: